Monday, January 12, 2009

JCVD

I first heard about JCVD from a slate column about it a while back. The movie is an alternate reality send up of Jean Claude Van Damm as B movie actor going through a divorce and needing money (basically his real life) who gets pulled into a bank robbery in Brussels. The reason why I went to see it is that the slate specifically references a monologue that Van Damm gives as the best monologue of the year. I was mostly surprised by how much I really like the film as a whole. The opening shot is a particularly impressive piece of an, uncut, unedited shot that reminded me strongly of one of my favorite scenes from a great Korean movie: Oldboy. Well worth checking out if it comes around you or, more likely, to add to your netflix cue when it comes out on DVD.

No comments:

Post a Comment